Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Shrimp Filled Avocado Boats

Mmmmm. Delicious avocado boats.


I love these avocado boats! They are rich and creamy, and taste absolutely decadent. This recipe is great if you are craving sugar, because healthy fats can help reduce sugar cravings (look here and here).
I came up with the idea by modifying a recipe I had at a sushi bar. The sushi bar had an avocado boat with shrimp, crab, and wasabi mayonnaise. I was going to try to replicate it, when my mind switched to other things I had in my refrigerator, such as cilantro and chipotles in adobo sauce. Instead of replicating the recipe, I decided to make a more “Mexican” version. And the result? It was sooooo good. Anyway, try it and let me know what you think.

What you will need to make these shrimp avocado boats
Ingredients
Chipotle Mayonnaise
  • 2 whole eggs
  • the juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup pure coconut oil, melted

Filling
  • 8 oz cooked shrimp, deveined, peeled, and chopped (I just buy a bag of frozen peeled shrimp, and put some in boiling water until the shrimp are pink, but not chewy)
  • 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 3 radishes, diced
  • ½ lime juice
  • 2 Tablespoons of chipotle mayonnaise
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 large firm avocado
Ingredients needed for the filling.
Directions:
  1. In a blender, blend together the eggs, lemon juice, chipotles, salt, and pepper until smooth.
  2. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the coconut oil.
  3. Voila! Chipotle mayonnaise.
  4. In a bowl blend together the chopped shrimp, cilantro, radishes, lime juice, chipotle mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
  5. Cut the avocado in half, removing the pit.
  6. Cut off the rounded bottom of the avocado, so it will sit easily on the plate.
  7. Fill the two avocados with the shrimp mixture.
  8. Squeeze left over lime juice over the top, if you like.
  9. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment